The Declaration of Independence. It speaks of the unalienable rights of every American to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. And our forefathers could have told every one of us that location has a lot to do with that last right.
When their ancestors weren’t happy with the status quo in Britain, they migrated to much, much greener pastures to find their happiness. Are you starting to feel like a change is in order for you to find your happiness?
Well, we advise steering clear of any of the following cities on this list. Due to a number of factors, these are the most miserable city from each state. Read on to find out which city in your state made the list!
**Data Source: U.S. Census Bureau Quick Facts, and areavibes.com
In a city with a population of approx 57,000, the median household income is about $60,000, which is above the national average. However, Casper has the lowest income growth in the country and the crime rate there is about 16% higher than the national average. That means that if you move there, you'd have a one in 34 chance of becoming a victim of some kind of crime.
Wyoming, itself has the third-highest work hours per week and the highest suicide rate. Coincidence? We think not. But, if you are plannig a move to Wyoming, may we suggest Cheyenne? It is considered the happiest city in the state.
With a median income of approximately $47,000 per household and about 24.4% of the city living below poverty level, it is easy to see why Burlington might be the most miserable city in the state of Vermont. Oh, and did we forget to mention? The cost of living and the cost of housing are both higher than the national average by 16 and 34%, respectively.
And if all of that wasn't enough to make anyone miserable, the state of Vermont has the highest rate of both teen and adult drug users in the entire country. But strangely enough, South Burlington made it to the top of the list when it came to Vermont's happiest cities.
Did you know...
- You've heard of the phrase "wanderlust," but do you know the German word "fernweh"? It means "far sickness" or an intensely strong urge to travel. The next time you feel the need to head out on a road trip, you've got a case of fernweh. And the only cure is to travel somewhere new!
- The longest flight in the world is between Singapore and Newark, New Jersey. Depending on which way you're flying, it takes around 18.5 hours to complete the 9,534 miles of the journey. The flight is so long that it doesn't even have an economy class. Only first-class and business-class arrangements are offered.
- Jet lag is worse when you're traveling from west to east. That's because the changes in time zones become not only more physically apparent on your body, but they are also more culturally apparent. If restaurants close at 10pm on the East Coast, you'll just be getting hungry since it will feel like 7pm on your West Coast-adjusted body.
- The surface area of Pluto is just under 6.5 million square miles. The CIA Factbook lists the area of Russia to be just over 6.6 million square miles. That makes Russia bigger than Pluto (and much closer to visit). Are you still very upset that Pluto isn’t a planet anymore?
- Taking a vacation is good for your health! Studies have shown that a vacation can help to lower your risk of heart disease. It's also a proven way to improve your creativity. So if you have some writer's block or need to lower your stress, grab a friend and go on an adventure!